Monday, April 7, 2008

My Sweet Suite

When I first moved into my suite early last September, I found myself living with some strange characters. Some of which I knew I would get along with, others who I thought I was guaranteed to butt heads with, and finally a few I may have given too much credit to.



I made my initial assumptions within the first week. I had decided that one of my roommates was a cool person who I would hang out with often, while the other lacked social skills and would hopefully move out as soon as possible. I thought that one of my best friend’s roommates was a nice girl but a little uptight while the other was gorgeous, rich, and very fun loving. I came to the conclusion that the girls at the end of the hall were slightly reserved, (which is expected to happen when best friends move in together) but they would become more comfortable with me as time went on. Last, but not least, after a few loud nights I decided that the girls in 409 were the party type and it wouldn’t be long until I confronted them about their disrespect for the people they shared a suite with.



As time went on I realized that some of my assumptions couldn’t have been further from the truth. Ya, I did become close with one of my roommates, but the other never moved out as I had hoped, however she did open up a little. I was way off when it came to my best friend’s roommates. The nice girl who was slightly uptight turned out to be very dramatic and moved out because she had had “enough” of us. Oh, and the fun-loving girl, actually turned out to be an alcoholic with more issues than I could have even began to imagine. The girls at the end of the hall ended up making more friends, but not with their suitemates. And then there are the girls in 409, I couldn’t love them more. They turned out to be some of the greatest people I have ever met.



After weeding out a select few, the girls on the fourth floor have become like a family. As the year winds down it has become an unfortunate reality that I will not be living with all of these girls next year. I will have to go through this entire process again, however any new friendships I will make in the future will never compare to the ones I had with the girls in my freshman suite.

No comments: